It's probably wrong to call these tacos since they don't resemble their Mexican namesakes in any way, but I will do it anyways. Maybe a better way to put it would be Italian Tacos...which I think I like even better. Either way, they put an interesting spin on roasted eggplant! Not that I could ever get sick of roasted eggplant, but it's a fun thing to make if you have leftovers lying around :)
Roasted Eggplant (Italian) Tacos
- Eggplant, sliced into circles (the greater the circumference of the eggplant the better this will work)
- Spinach or Kale
- Ricotta and/or Parmesan Cheese
- Choice of meat (I used strips of smoked turkey breast, but grilled chicken or any leftovers would also be good)
- Marinara/Pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set your eggplant rounds on a cutting board or other flat surface, salt, and let sit for about 15 minutes to let them "sweat." This will get rid of any potential bitter taste when cooked. Rinse and set on a greased baking sheet (I like to use olive oil in a spray can) without overlapping.
- Roast for about 25 to 30 minutes or until it softens and starts to brown.
- Let cool, remove from baking sheet, and top each round with choice of toppings to make your "tacos." Stick back in the warm oven for a couple of minutes to reheat if desired. To eat, fold the eggplant with the ingredients inside and enjoy! These make a great snack or appetizer.