On another note, we threw together a nice random little potluck dinner last night! I had some eggplants I was trying to use up, some kale I had just gotten, and some sour cream that I bought for the first time ever that day, so I figured I would try experimenting...and you should too! ;)
Warm Kale Salad with Sour Cream Roasted Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant
- 4-5 packed cups kale, torn
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey (as dressing, can omit)
- 2 tsp olive oil (as dressing, can omit)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- salt, plus more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut eggplant into approx 1 inch cubes, salt generously, and let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes until it starts to "sweat." Rinse and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add sour cream, lemon juice, garlic powder, and pepper, and toss until thoroughly mixed.
- Place marinated eggplant on a greased or lined baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until soft, covering if necessary. Uncover to let bronze for the last 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the eggplant is almost done, gently steam kale until it softens slightly. You can do this on the stove using a colander or by covering and putting in the microwave for about a minute.
- Place kale in a bowl, and toss with the grilled eggplant, cranberries, honey, olive oil, and even chicken if you'd like to make a complete meal out of it!
I am pretty proud to say this was a success, but you will not know for sure just how good it was until you try :)