To go along with a day's worth of incredible experiences, I would like to share one more life-changing thing: a recipe that I have been working on for a while and feel like I am finally ready to share. These Coconut Plantain Muffins have an incredible texture and no added flour or sweetener thanks to the amazing properties of plantains. They are so dense, yet really moist and have the perfect balance between protein and carbs. And on top of all of that, they are so easy to make! This recipe can also easily be made into a loaf. I tested it out with some leftover batter, and am including a picture later on in the post. Here goes, your mind will be blown :-)
Makes about 12 muffins
- 2 ripe sweet plantains
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mash plantains and add egg whites, then blend with a hand mixer. You can also use a blender or Vitamix to make it easier on yourself, but I kind of like the occasional chunks of plantain that the hand mixer leaves in the batter.
- Mix in the flaxseed and shredded coconut with a spatula.
- Lastly, add the baking powder and stir in well.
- Grease your muffin tin with oil (coconut works best) or use non-stick muffin liners and pour in the batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the muffins are firm. Let cool inside of the oven before removing.
Enjoy! Please let me know how they turned out, keep thinking about Fair Trade, count your blessings, and try taking an urban hike one of these days :-)
Remember to follow for more great recipes, thanks!!