Italian Style Omelette
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of egg whites
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 cup pearl onions (mine were defrosted and drained) or 1 chopped fresh onion
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets (again, mine were originally frozen but I am busy and poor)
- Other vegetables of choice (sauteed mushrooms/peppers??)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (homemade meat sauce would be amazing but I just used regular for the same reasons as listed above)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 tsp olive or coconut oil
- Italian seasoning
1. Whisk together eggs and egg whites in a bowl, adding a dash of salt and a tbsp of milk, because according to my grandmother, that will result in a far superior omelette. (I ignore this step way too often and end up just pouring everything straight into the pan)
2. Heat oil in a pan over high heat, and spread around evenly until pan is adequately hot. Also preheat oven to about 375 degrees.
3. Pour in the egg mixture and turn down heat to medium. A shell should immediately begin to form around the edges of the omelette.
4. Add in your vegetables, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cover and continue to cook until the top of the omelette begins to set. Covering your omelette will trap the heat and help distribute it, which is why this step is so important.
5. Remove from heat and spread marinara sauce on top of omelette, topping with Parmesan and Italian seasoning.
6. Stick in the oven and bake for about 5-10 minutes, or until the Parmesan starts to turn golden.
7. Remove from oven and wait a couple of minutes until the omelette sets, and then transfer onto a plate by sliding it from the pan with the help of a spatula, or whatever flat utensil you have on hand.
I love Italian food, and this recipe was the perfect way to get that familiar taste while keeping it light at the same time. Who would have thought that eggs and marinara sauce were such a killer combination? Hopefully I can make it to Italy someday and introduce this to the locals and see what they think. You could almost say this is some sort of a weird twist on pizza? Not sure if that would be very well received haha...but at least it makes for a fast and healthy dinner!
Arrivederci for now everyone...