Apricot Turkey Burgers
Makes about 6 patties, depending on size preferred (I made mine smaller to share)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or almond flour
- 15-20 dried apricots, chopped to bits
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Italian blend seasoning (or a mix of oregano and basil will do the trick)
- 1 tbsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or lemon pepper
- Goat cheese or Parmesan cheese or any cheese to top (optional)
Combine everything in a bowl, working through the mixture with your hands to make sure that all ingredients bind together. Form patties of your choice and stick on a well heated grill. You probably know the rest, but just make sure the sides are brown and the patty is well cooked throughout before serving. With this particular recipe, the more grilled the burgers are, the sweeter and meltier and more pronounced the apricots get...absolutely amazing, but don't take my word for it! I prefer my burgers without a bun, and the taste of this patty by itself on a bed of spinach was enough for me, but I'm sure these would be delicious with anything. The next time I make these, I'm thinking I will try them with goat cheese!
So, what did you guys have on the Fourth? Let's reminisce and let me know, I would love to hear it. Even if it was sinful because I know I just about drank my body weight in beer...